Easy Chicken Soup
This easy chicken soup is a nutritious and comforting meal that is perfect for chilly days or when you’re feeling under the weather.
By Neil Bridgeman
May 1 2023 • 2 min read
This easy chicken soup is a nutritious and comforting meal that is perfect for chilly days or when you’re feeling under the weather. The chicken provides protein, while the vegetables (carrots, celery, and onion) offer vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Additionally, homemade bone broth, which is used as the base for the soup, is rich in collagen, glucosamine, and other beneficial nutrients that can support gut health, joint health, and skin health.
- 400g boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 can (400g) of green lentils or cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 teaspoon dried/fresh lemon thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried/fresh rosemary
- 6 cups chicken bone broth or stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley or coriander, chopped (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent.
Add the chopped chicken and sauté until it is cooked through.
Add the chopped carrots and celery, and sauté for a few minutes until they begin to soften.
Add the green lentils or cannellini beans, thyme and rosemary and stir to combine.
Pour in the chicken bone broth or stock and bring the mixture to a low boil.
Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley or coriander if desired.